Enjoy this sweet recipe for one of the oldest desserts in Europe. It requires very few ingredients!
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 20 minutes
- Number of servings: 8
- Difficulty: Medium
- 1l milk
- 200g sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 30g cornstarch
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 piece lemon peel
- Mix the egg yolks, sugar, and cornstarch with 1/3 of the milk.
- In a saucepan, boil 2/3 of the milk with the lemon peel and cinnamon.
- After 3 minutes, remove from the heat and take out the lemon and cinnamon.
- Slowly add the egg mixture to the hot milk through a strainer to ensure there are no lumps.
- Return it to the heat until it boils, stirring constantly.
- Once the mixture has begun to thicken, remove from the heat and put it into individual bowls to cool.
- For an authentic finish, sprinkle with sugar and brown with a blowtorch or under a preheated broiler to caramelize.